New Delhi
A witness in the Delhi Chief Minister attack case told the Tis Hazari Court on Friday that the CCTV cameras at the Chief Minister’s camp office were not functioning on the day of the alleged incident during a Jan Sunvai programme. The witness further said he was unaware whether anyone had recorded the incident on a mobile phone.
The matter pertains to accused Rajeshbhai Khimjibhai Sakariya and Tehsin Raza Sheikh, who are currently facing trial. The court is in the process of recording prosecution evidence in the case.
Additional Sessions Judge Nishant Garg recorded the testimony of prosecution witness Anil Agrawal, a section officer who was present during the Jan Sunvai when the incident allegedly occurred. Special Public Prosecutor Pradeep Rana conducted the examination of the witness.
During cross-examination by defence counsel Advocate Sidhant Malik, Agrawal stated that Chief Minister Rekha Gupta was interacting with members of the public at the event and was accompanied by two security personnel. He also reiterated that the CCTV system was not operational on that day. When asked whether he had reported the malfunction, Agrawal said informing authorities about such issues was the responsibility of the security staff.
Agrawal further testified that he did not directly witness the moment the Chief Minister was allegedly slapped. However, he said he saw one of the accused holding or pressing her neck. Following his testimony, the court discharged the witness and fixed July 24 for the appearance of the next prosecution witness.
During the proceedings, accused Rajeshbhai Khimjibhai Sakariya appeared physically before the court and alleged that he had been confined and assaulted by two jail officials on May 4. His lawyer filed an application seeking court intervention in the matter. Another application was also submitted seeking the release of money and an Aadhaar card belonging to co-accused Tehsin Raza Sheikh. The court is scheduled to hear these applications on May 29.
Meanwhile, jail authorities filed a response to an earlier plea submitted by the accused, in which they alleged threats to their lives while in custody. On May 9, Sakariya and Sheikh had informed the court that they were being assaulted and threatened by fellow inmates in jail. They also claimed that their family members had received threats. Through their plea, the accused sought separate barracks and directions to ensure their safety, as well as the protection of their families.
The court had subsequently directed prison authorities to take steps to ensure their safety. Defence counsel also submitted a compact disc containing recordings of alleged threat calls made to the families of the accused.
Sakariya and Sheikh are facing trial in connection with the alleged August 2025 attack on the Delhi Chief Minister. Charges against them include attempt to murder and criminal conspiracy, among other offences.
According to their plea, the accused face a serious and immediate threat to their lives within the jail premises due to the nature of the case. They alleged that fellow inmates had repeatedly assaulted and targeted them because of the accusations against them. The plea also claimed that inmates had threatened to kill them inside the jail and harm their families residing in Gujarat.
The accused further stated that the threats were specific, repeated and life-threatening, creating a genuine fear of serious physical harm. They also alleged that threats had been extended to their legal counsel, with inmates allegedly warning that the lawyers representing them would also face consequences. The plea argued that such intimidation undermines the administration of justice and interferes with the accused persons’ right to legal representation and a fair trial.
The application additionally alleged that on February 10, 2026, a person identified as Mohd. Ashish contacted the families of the accused through a mobile phone and demanded Rs 10,000 from each accused on the pretext of arranging their protection and preventing a jail transfer that could endanger their safety. According to the plea, the caller threatened the families after they refused to pay and used abusive language during the conversation. The accused claimed that an audio recording of the call has been preserved on a CD.
The plea also accused jail officials of harassing and mistreating the accused by confining them inside their ward for long periods and restricting their movement, causing mental distress and humiliation.
Further allegations were made against a jail official identified as Ravi Kumar, posted at Jail No. 4, who allegedly abused and threatened the accused on March 25, 2026. According to the plea, the official warned them of false criminal cases and dire consequences related to the alleged attack on the Delhi Chief Minister. The accused also claimed that threats were extended to their family members.
READ MORE: Who clicked the first picture of Holy Kabba?
In addition, the plea alleged that some jail officials demanded illegal payments in exchange for arranging better accommodation or shifting facilities within the jail. The accused claimed that because they were unable to pay, no assistance was provided to them.