Hong Kong
Authorities in Hong Kong on Sunday said they have recovered 18 additional human remains from the burned-out Wang Fuk Court housing estate, raising the death toll to 146 in what has become the city’s deadliest residential fire in more than 75 years, Al Jazeera reported.
The massive blaze tore through seven residential towers of the complex over two days before firefighters finally extinguished it on Friday.
Shuk-yin Tsang, head of the Hong Kong police casualty unit, told reporters that another 100 people remain unaccounted for, while 79 others were injured. Police had earlier confirmed 128 deaths, with families assisting in the painful identification process, according to Al Jazeera.
Cheng Ka-chun, who leads the police victim identification unit, said search teams have so far combed through four buildings, recovering bodies from apartments, corridors, and even rooftops. He said the unit "cannot rule out the possibility of further fatalities", noting that the complete search of all affected towers may take three to four weeks.
More than 1,000 people gathered at the site on Sunday to mourn the victims, laying flowers, leaving handwritten notes, and offering prayers.
Public anger has intensified as details emerge about longstanding safety concerns at the complex. Residents had repeatedly complained about fire hazards and questionable construction practices. The towers have been under renovation since last year, and officials say bamboo scaffolding and flammable foam boards used to cover windows contributed to the rapid spread of the fire.
Late on Saturday, Hong Kong authorities ordered the immediate suspension of 28 building projects handled by the complex’s contractor, Prestige Construction and Engineering Company, pending safety audits. At least 11 people have been arrested in connection with the incident, including three company officials, local authorities said.
READ MORE: Unity Reel Challenge: Showcase India’s unity in 90 seconds and win a bumper prize
Many of the estate’s 4,600 residents have been moved to temporary emergency shelters or city hotels as officials work to arrange longer-term accommodation.