Govt aims to make June 21 NEET-UG re-test 100 pc error-free: Pradhan

Story by  PTI | Posted by  Vidushi Gaur | Date 22-05-2026
Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan
Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan

 

New Delhi

Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan on Friday said the government is determined to ensure that the NEET-UG re-test scheduled for June 21 is conducted in a completely error-free manner following the controversy surrounding the medical entrance examination.

Addressing the Jagran Bharat Education Conclave 2026, Pradhan said the authorities had to take “tough decisions” after irregularities were detected in the conduct of the exam and stressed that deserving students should not suffer because of the activities of the “examination mafia”.

The minister said nearly 22 lakh students had faced “mental anguish” due to the controversy and asserted that the government was committed to restoring confidence in the examination system.

The National Testing Agency had recently cancelled the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (Undergraduate) conducted on May 3 amid allegations of a paper leak. The case is currently being investigated by the Central Bureau of Investigation.

Pradhan said the decision to cancel the examination was taken after authorities found that “some assessments had been compromised”.

“We did not want even a single student to lose their rightful seat because of the conspiracy of people involved in irregularities in the education system,” he said.

Acknowledging criticism over the handling of the issue, the minister said the government was prepared to face scrutiny while working to correct systemic problems.

“We are facing criticism and challenges, and I accept that. But it is our responsibility to set the system right,” he said.

READ MORE: Who clicked the first picture of Holy Kabba?

Pradhan reiterated that ensuring a transparent and flawless conduct of the June 21 re-test was now a top priority for the government.