Dhar
Members of the Muslim community in Madhya Pradesh’s Dhar district have decided to offer Friday namaz at home and wear black bands in protest following the recent court ruling in the Bhojshala-Kamal Maula Mosque dispute.
Last week, the Madhya Pradesh High Court struck down a 2003 order of the Archaeological Survey of India that had permitted Muslims to offer Friday prayers at the disputed Bhojshala-Kamal Maula Mosque complex, declaring the site a temple dedicated to Goddess Saraswati.
Prior to the verdict, Hindus were permitted to worship at the medieval monument on Tuesdays, while Muslims had been offering Friday prayers there for several years.
Community members said Muslim-run markets and business establishments in parts of Dhar would also remain closed on Friday.
Meanwhile, authorities have intensified security arrangements ahead of the first Friday after the court ruling. Officials said over 1,500 police personnel have been deployed around the Bhojshala complex, supported by drone surveillance and CCTV monitoring.
The Bhoj Utsav Samiti has called upon Hindus to gather for an “akhand puja” and “maha aarti” at the 11th-century structure on Friday.
Dhar Superintendent of Police Sachin Sharma said a nine-layer security arrangement, including vehicle checks, mobile patrolling and aerial surveillance, has been put in place around the site.
Muslim community president Abdul Samad said the community would express its dissatisfaction peacefully and within the framework of the Constitution.
“We will offer namaz at our homes and wear black bands in protest. We will not hurt anybody’s religious sentiments or offer prayers at public places,” he said.
Samad added that community members would upload photographs and videos of prayers on social media to express their position.
He also said a delegation from the Muslim community had recently met district authorities and submitted a memorandum alleging that some activities around Bhojshala were not in accordance with the high court’s directions.
According to him, the administration had cancelled certain programmes and permissions that could potentially disturb peace in the city.
“The Constitution gives equal religious freedom to all communities, and we will continue to act within its framework,” Samad said.
Following the verdict, several Hindu organisations held celebrations at the site earlier this week, including prayers and fireworks.
A peace committee meeting chaired by Collector Rajiv Ranjan Meena and SP Sharma was held on Wednesday to review the situation.
Officials said the court’s directions would be implemented “in letter and spirit” and urged people not to fall for rumours or provocative content on social media.
Authorities also said no new religious activity or practice beyond what had previously been permitted would be allowed at the site.
Bhoj Utsav Samiti patron Ashok Jain said members of the Hindu community would gather at Dhan Mandi Square on Friday before proceeding to Bhojshala for prayers.
“This Friday is linked to our self-respect. The entire Hindu community will offer prayers at Bhojshala,” he said.
READ MORE: Who clicked the first picture of Holy Kabba?
Jain also claimed that Hindus had faced restrictions and disputes over worship at the site for decades, especially when Basant Panchami coincided with Friday prayers.