Guwahati
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Saturday welcomed appeals issued by several Eidgah and Kabristan committees urging members of the Muslim community to avoid cow slaughter during the upcoming Eid-ul-Zuha celebrations, saying the move would help strengthen communal harmony in the state.
In a post on X, Sarma said committees in districts including Hojai, Dhubri, Bongaigaon and Udharbond had appealed to people to refrain from cow slaughter during Bakrid while also explaining the legal and religious aspects surrounding the issue.
The chief minister described the initiative as a gesture of respect towards the sentiments of the majority Sanatan community and said such voluntary actions could play a significant role in promoting communal peace in Assam.
“I hope other Eidgah committees will also issue similar appeals,” Sarma said.
He also shared media reports highlighting appeals made by Muslim community organisations in Udharbond and Dhubri ahead of the festival, which is scheduled to be celebrated on May 28.
According to an official statement issued earlier by the Dhubri administration, a preparatory meeting chaired by District Commissioner Megha Nidhi Dahal reviewed arrangements for the festival and discussed measures to maintain law and order.
During the meeting, Dahal directed departments concerned to ensure proper arrangements for healthcare, emergency response and public safety during the celebrations. He instructed the health department to deploy ambulances at crowded locations and ensure medical personnel remain available at government hospitals throughout the day.
The district administration also highlighted provisions of the Assam Cattle Preservation Act, 2021, under which slaughter, sale and transportation of cattle are regulated and permitted only under specified conditions with valid authorisation.
Officials clarified that as there are no certified slaughterhouses in the district, cattle slaughter would not be allowed in Dhubri.
Representatives of mosques and Eidgahs were requested to inform local communities about the legal provisions to prevent any untoward incidents during the festival period.
Senior Superintendent of Police Debashis Borah assured that the police would remain vigilant and take prompt action against anyone attempting to disturb communal harmony.
READ MORE: Bakrid 2026: Farmer wishes to sell Rs 15-lakh ‘Crescent Goat’ to Salman Khan
Dhubri had witnessed communal tension after Bakrid celebrations last year, following which authorities had imposed strict security measures, including night-time shoot-at-sight orders in parts of the district bordering Bangladesh.