Bengal CM warns of strict action, says govt won't tolerate vandalism

Story by  ANI | Posted by  Vidushi Gaur | Date 18-05-2026
West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari
West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari

 

Kolkata

Suvendu Adhikari on Monday issued a stern warning against acts of vandalism and violence, asserting that his government would follow a “zero-tolerance” approach towards those attempting to disrupt law and order under the cover of religious slogans.

The West Bengal chief minister said the state administration would not hesitate to initiate strict legal action against individuals involved in attacks on security personnel or destruction of public property.

Adhikari’s remarks came a day after protests linked to recent bulldozer action in Kolkata’s Tiljala area turned violent in the minority-dominated Park Circus locality. According to police, demonstrators allegedly hurled stones at law enforcement personnel, leaving several officers injured and causing damage to multiple vehicles. Officials linked the protests to administrative action against alleged illegal structures.

After meeting injured police personnel, Adhikari told reporters that six police officers and two Central Reserve Police Force jawans sustained injuries during the unrest.

He also said that 40 individuals had so far been arrested in connection with the incident.

READ MORE: Shahida Murtaza's academic research forms backbone of governments' policies

Emphasising that citizens have the right to raise concerns and voice grievances peacefully, the chief minister said acts such as stone-pelting and violence in the name of religious mobilisation would not be tolerated under his administration, while warning those involved not to assume that the state’s previous style of governance remained in place.