MNF chief Zoramthanga slams Mizoram govt over Lengpui land deal

Story by  PTI | Posted by  Vidushi Gaur | Date 16-02-2026
MNF chief Zoramthanga
MNF chief Zoramthanga

 

Aizawl

Zoramthanga on Monday criticised the Mizoram government over a land acquisition deal at Lengpui, alleging that mandatory legal procedures were bypassed to fast-track the process for compensation purposes.

After releasing the names of Mizo National Front (MNF) candidates for the upcoming Aizawl Municipal Corporation polls, the opposition leader described the high compensation paid for land near Lengpui airport to the Indian Air Force (IAF) as “truly astonishing”.

He said the IAF had been seeking land acquisition since the tenures of both the Congress and MNF governments, with in-principle agreement. However, the actual process began on May 15 last year when a preliminary notification was issued by the present Zoram People's Movement (ZPM) administration.

Zoramthanga alleged that the ZPM government initiated the acquisition but that the revenue minister cancelled the mandatory Social Impact Assessment (SIA) required under law, claiming it was unnecessary. “A state minister cannot simply override an Act of Parliament,” he said.

He further claimed that over Rs 188 crore had been deposited into the Aizawl Deputy Commissioner’s account even before the final notification was issued. “They put the cart before the horse by depositing the money before the final notification was released. This is highly improper. They were in such a hurry to receive the funds that they bypassed legal procedures,” he alleged, adding that it would be interesting to see how the ZPM defends the matter in court.

The controversy revolves around Rs 187.90 crore reportedly paid by the state government to acquire private land for the IAF. The issue has triggered a political standoff between the opposition MNF and Congress, and the ruling ZPM.

The opposition parties have lodged separate complaints with the state Chief Vigilance Officer and the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), seeking a federal inquiry into the alleged irregularities.

They alleged that two individuals who were not the original landowners received the bulk of the compensation — one reportedly receiving Rs 70 crore and another over Rs 117.90 crore — while original landowners were paid little or nothing. The opposition further claimed that a process that usually takes years was completed in just 70 days, with the alleged waiver of the SIA and failure to notify village councils, as required under the Land Acquisition Act of 2013.

The ZPM government has denied any wrongdoing and shifted the blame to the previous MNF administration.

READ MORENeerja Mattoo for popularising Kashmiri mystic poets

State Revenue Minister Lalchhanzova alleged that the previous MNF government had attempted to permanently sell the land to the IAF between 2019 and 2021, which he claimed would have violated state land protection laws.