Bhubaneswar
The family of Odisha-based merchant navy cadet Sarthak Mohapatra on Tuesday alleged non-cooperation by officials of the company operating the vessel from which he went missing mid-sea off the Mauritius coast earlier this month.
Sarthak’s mother, Rashmita Mohapatra, and his uncle Santosh Sahu had travelled to Singapore to oversee efforts to trace him after the vessel docked at a port there.
The vessel, EA Jersey, is operated by Anglo-Eastern, which denied the allegations and said it had extended full cooperation to the family during their visit.
Speaking to reporters at the Bhubaneswar airport after returning from Singapore, Sahu said the family was able to board the vessel with assistance from the Indian High Commission and the Director General of Shipping (DGS).
“However, officials of the company operating the vessel did not cooperate with us during the visit. Whenever I tried to speak to Sarthak’s colleagues or other officers on board, company representatives interrupted and prevented me from asking questions,” he alleged.
Sahu claimed that around 15 company officials were present on the ship and closely accompanied the family throughout their visit. He further alleged that access to most parts of the vessel was restricted and that the family was allowed to visit only Sarthak’s personal cabin.
“We requested an in-depth search of the vessel, but the company officials had no clear response. Instead, they repeatedly tried to obtain our signatures on certain documents,” he said.
According to Sahu, when the family met the Indian High Commissioner in Singapore, they were informed that a request for a proper investigation is pending with the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA). “The MPA is currently investigating the case. If required, they will involve the Singapore Police,” he added.
READ MORE: Brotherhood is necessary for growth: Grand Mufti to PM Modi
Responding to PTI’s queries, an Anglo-Eastern spokesperson said the cadet’s next of kin were fully supported during their visit. “The visit was conducted in coordination with authorities and in accordance with all regulatory, safety and investigative protocols,” the spokesperson said, adding that the company and vessel owners continue to cooperate fully with all authorities and remain in close contact with the family.